How do I apply?
Please read through this FAQ entirely, then click the button above to fill out the Team 28 new member application for 2016-2017.
When should I expect to hear back from the team?
We try and notify applicants of our decision as soon as possible. However, this year, we will be finalizing our roster for Manufacturing and Composites Manufacturing late September 2016. So if you apply to one of those two teams and you don’t hear back for a couple weeks, don’t worry! We send ALL applicants a decision letter, be patient and we will get back to you as promptly as we can.
What should I say in my cover letter?
Your cover letter is a chance to differentiate yourself from the crowd, it’s NOT an extension of your resume. When writing your cover letter, consider the following:
- You must indicate which Technical and Administrative teams you're applying for.
- Which Technical and Administrative team do I want to be on? Why would I be a good addition to those teams? (Please note that ALL members must be on both an Administrative and Technical team)
- How does my intention to join the team align with UWashington's mission statement?
- What can I contribute to UWashington that others can’t?
- Who am I? What personal, not professional, characteristics to I bring to the team?
- How will I make sure that UWashington remains a world competitor in the global Formula SAE competition?
I’m not an engineer but I want to get involved, should I apply?
YES. UWashington prides itself on accepting all majors for qualified applicants. Last year’s team was comprised of mainly mechanical engineers, however, the remainder of our roster was filled by CSE, Electrical Engineering, Finance, Communications and Political Science majors.
I’m a freshman at UW and I don’t have much experience, should I apply?
YES. Our team’s leads and directors were once inexperienced freshmen, too. UWashington's mission is to produce world-class engineers through a commitment to learning and innovation. We don’t expect you to know everything, but we expect you to be eager to learn. Just be sure to outline why you think you would be an effective member of our team in your cover letter.
I wasn’t accepted to the team, should I apply next year?
Yes! While we’d love to have a 100% acceptance rate, we simply don’t have enough spots on our roster to do so. If you are not accepted, we encourage you to build on the feedback that you receive from our administrators and apply again in subsequent years.